Over the last few weeks I've really noted improvements in my skin. Bathing in sea water and moisturising with coconut oil has got to be the simplest and most effective skin care routine ever.
Yesterday I went for an epic surf with a wonderful friend (thanks Andreas! Now fiancee :) and was again reminded of how incredibly delicious, sparkly and energised the ocean makes me feel - even when it's raining and cold!
Here are ten reasons to get into the ocean, go for a surf, or just laze in a rockpool this weekend!
- Stressed out from the work week? The magnesium content in sea water has a nutritional and calming effect on nerves.
- Sea water is bacteriostatic and has a beneficial effect on skin conditions such as dermatitis, fungal infections, such as athlete's foot, psoriasis & eczema. It's also rich in minerals and great for skin in general.
- Being bathed in natural sunlight helps your body to produce vitamin D, which helps to support your immune system and bones, and elevates mood.
- The motion of the waves help to massage the body. Can't afford a massage? Go for a surf and get pummelled by the waves! (safely of course).
- Cool sea water calms down overwrought nerves, tranquillising the whole body, but at the same time toning it up and making it more resilient.
- Warm sea water, during the summer months improves circulation and relaxes muscles.
- If the moon is full you can enjoy the combined energising effect of the full moon, and ocean energy - miiiiindblowing when you go at night!
- Reduces tension and stress.
- Purifies your aura ;)
- The ocean contains all the vital elements, vitamins, mineral salts, trace elements, and amino acids (which is, by the way, a really good reason for using sea salt in our diet, as opposed to 'table' salt).
Do yourself a favour and be a mermaid or merman today! Happy Saturday xx