Shiitake mushrooms (Lentinula edodes) were a favourite ingredient in my mum's Chinese cooking while I was growing up, and I still love them today. They're packed with flavour, have a great chewy texture and make an incredible meat alternative.
Their powerful immune-modulating and anti-tumour actions make them ideal as an adjunct therapy in cancer, for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Other medicinal mushrooms include maitake, reishi, and chaga. I often wonder how different our collective state of health would be if we routinely offered our kids traditional foods like these? I also chucked a little Korean ginseng (Panax ginseng) in for extra mum-staying power!
- 1/4 cup tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2-inch piece ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chilli paste (optional)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup okra, trimmed
- 1 cup wombok cabbage, sliced
- 1 cup eggplant, sliced
- 1 cup sliced and dried shiitake mushrooms (Lentinula edodes)
- 1 teaspoon Korean ginseng (Panax ginseng) root, sliced and dried OR powdered (optional)
- Place dried shiitake mushrooms into a bowl and pour boiling water over the top. Let them sit for 15 minutes while you chop the veggies, then drain and set mushrooms aside.
- Into a wok over medium-high heat, heat coconut oil. Add ginger, onions, drained mushrooms, and carrots and let cook for 1 minute. Add ginseng, garlic, chilli, eggplant, okra, broccoli, and wombok. Put a lid on wok and let cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Toss and continue to cook and toss without a lid for another 2 minutes.
- Add sesame oil and toss again. Cook for another 3 minutes until liquid has cooked off and vegetables are tender.
- Top with chopped spring onions and serve with brown rice for a warming, hearty, and immune-boosting meal!
You don't need all of these veggies, whatever you have in the fridge will do. These are just some of my favourite asian veggies and it happens to be market day today, so I could get them all!
You can buy good quality organic shiitake mushrooms and Korean ginseng online, here. Alternately, find them at any asian grocery store or sometimes in the asian section of the supermarket.