Makes 1 pie, serves 8-12 (or 6-8 eager chocolate pie beavers!)
½ cup almonds
½ cup walnuts
½ cup cashews – you can use any kind of nuts to replace any of those here, such as pecans, macadamias, and brazil nuts
2 teaspoons powdered chai spices (mix of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom)
1 cup pitted dates, pre-soaked in warm water for 15 mins
A few tablespoons date-soak water
2 large ripe avocados
3 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup
30g raw cacao nibs or broken pieces of 70%+ dark chocolate – ay carumba!
2 heaped tablespoons raw cacao powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tsp finely zested organic orange peel
- Combine crust ingredients in a food processor and mix together thoroughly to form a dough. Add a little more water, if required, to form a damp mass.
- Press dough into a pie dish to form a base.
- Combine avocado flesh, cacao, dark chocolate nibs, cinnamon, orange zest and honey in a food processor and mix until a thick, smooth consistency is reached. Add more cacao powder if you have especially green avocados and the mixture still looks and tastes a bit “avocado-ey!”
- Place chocolate filling into pie crust evenly. Place pie aside in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Slice pie into 8-12 pieces. Serve each piece decorated with thinly sliced orange or candied orange peel, and say hello to heaven!